Friday, October 24, 2008

Anise-Hyssop



Agastache foeniculum or Anise hyssop is a beautiful plant in the garden with a delicious licorice taste especially fun to use in tea. The flowers dry nicely holding both their flavor and color for use in wreath crafting. It is a perennial growing to about 3 feet in height. Considered a short lived perennial you will have to replace it every 5 years or so. It is quite hardy growing as far north as Wisconsin and Vermont, in fact it tends not to perform as well in the South due to the intense summer heat. This beautiful garden plant blooms in late July and August. Bees and Butterflies love it.


3 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful! I have enjoyed growing this lovely herb the past few years. It was introduced by RuthAnn of Deer Haven Manor --- so I always think of it when I look at it.

LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to get some of this next Spring. Thanks for the info. Kathy L -CO

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

One of my favorite edible flowers!