Saturday, January 24, 2009

There's always room. . .

for one more cookbook! And this week we have added a recently published spiral bound cookbook to the collection entitled Teatime at Miss Spenser's by Miss Spenser's Special-Teas in Iowa. Donna Hardin and her daughter Spenser form a special team. For many years,

they have been doing the traditional mother-daughter things; but most recently, in 2004, they discovered their mutual passion for tea. Their Tea Journey is outlined in this cookbook that features 90 favorite family recipes, including appetizers (cheesy pimiento spread), soups (baked potato soup), scone, bread & muffins (praline-peach muffins), sandwiches (carrot-ginger tea sandwiches) cakes, bars, & cookies (strawberry ooey gooey butter cake), high tea and simple evening dinners, (garlic corn casserole). Oh my, deciding which one to try first is a dilemma, but a happy decision! Simply reading cookbooks is a pleasure for me, but actually preparing something from a new cookbook is a passion.
We don't swing by Iowa too often, but a visit to Donna's tea room is definitely on my 'to-do' list! For now, owning their cookbook is the next best thing to being there! If you are interested in obtaining a copy of this little treasure, contact Donna . . . tell her Nancy sent you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share your passion of collecting cookbooks and finding new favorites in each one. I've had Donna's book for awhile and her Aunt Phyllis's Best Apple Bread page 15) is a winner for me. I have it baked and in the freezer year round.
I love many recipes in your cookbook, too, Nancy. The all-time winner for me is your Lemon Curd(page201). It is so quick, easy and delicious. It is always in my freezer to use for scones or tarts.

Martha