Friday, March 5, 2010

Mushrooms: to grow taller... or shorter...

These festive Meringue Mushrooms will be a fun addition to our Alice's tea party. Thanks to ME for sharing a link to a basic meringue recipe, these mushrooms are ready to be served! According to Caterpillar, one type of mushroom will make you grow taller, and one type will make you grow shorter. Alice, taking this advice, tucks these mushrooms into her dress pockets, using them as necessary.
My advice regarding mushrooms.... best to prepare them on a humidity free day! Pulverize the sugar so it is very fine, be sure to add it gradually to the beaten eggs, beating well in between each addition. And monitor the oven, making sure they don't brown prematurely. I used a gentle 200 degree oven for slightly over an hour, rotating the trays on several occasions. They turned out perfectly, this time. Sweet and crisp. Sometimes, working with meringue can be finicky. Just keep at it!

5 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

You had me fooled. I thought I really want a Wegman's here in the 'Burgh! Good you enjoy playing with your food! They look delish!

Marilyn Miller said...

Just perfect. I had fun making those for my Mad Hatter Tea Party in December. People love them and they are fun to make. Great tips.

ME said...

Your mushrooms look perfect! So real and they will taste so good.
This will be such a fun tea party.
Me

Time Traveling in Costume said...

I don't like mushrooms but I would eat these.
Val

parTea lady said...

Your meringue mushrooms turned out great. What a lovely added touch for the Alice tea party.