Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bee Balm, Bergamot, & Monarda

Whew! Three names one plant. This beautiful Native American wild flower now comes in a variety of colorful flowers from pink, lavender, white, blue or mahogany. The Native American Indians used it as a delicious tea and introduced the Colonists to this herb as a tea. Because of its almost Earl Grey type flavor the colonists nicknamed the plant bergamot. (It is not where Bergamot comes from). It attracts bees, butterflies and hummingbirds to the garden. A fragrant plant it is always a joy to weed near this one! A hardy perennial and fairly easy to grow, it will let itself get squeezed out of the garden by other more aggressive plants. While it comes in a huge assortment of colors red was the color it was found in most frequently 200 years ago.

4 comments:

Bernideen said...

When I lived in Spring, Texas it grew wild on the sides of the road....grew very tall. I used it in my dried flower arrangements - sadly dried flowers aren't as popular as they were before! Love it!

Carol said...

I just had a friend gift me with some beautiful red "Bee Balm" I can't wait to get it into the flower beds.

Marilyn Miller said...

I can't wait for mine to bloom and hummingbirds come and visit. I planted it near a window so I can watch. Love monarda.

PeggyR said...

My bee balm is in bloom and the hummingbirds love it...