Friday, February 10, 2012

the vegetable side dish...

Sliced onions, sweet red pepper hearts (cut with a cookie cutter), and brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil until tender formed the basis for our side dish. A few (leftover) wide noodles were tossed into the mix at the very end of cooking along with a nice sprinkling of dried marjoram and veggie pepper seasoning. Colorful and tasty, not bad for my first attempt at preparing brussel sprouts!  We rarely had brussel sprouts in our home when we were growing up as our mother really didn't care for them. When my dad retired, he would do a lot of the cooking. Mom would tell my dad that he could serve brussel sprouts once a month. To which my dad teased that he would make them on the 30th of the month and again on the very next day, the 1st of the next month.

2 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Your dad's teasing made me smile! And I love your red pepper hearts--sweet!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh yum! This looks delicious! I can tell your Dad was a lot of fun to be around. Laughter is so important in a happy home.