Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Maid's Quarters

Heading north, we stopped at The Maid's Quarters B & B and Tea Room in Pottsville, PA.  A charming 1829 country Victorian inn, this historic and tranquil bed and breakfast is located in the heart of town.  In addition to the responsibilities of owning a B & B, Allyson, the innkeeper, will prepare afternoon tea by reservation for private parties of up to 25 people.  Our clan of 7 happily sat down to enjoy afternoon tea.  There were six varieties of hot teas and 2 types of iced tea to choose.

A plate of Cranberry Scones and Poppyseed Scones was the featured first course, served with cranberry butter and lemon curd.  This was then followed by a platter of assorted petite sandwiches which included ham salad, egg salad, and a herbed sandwich with capers on dense pumpernickel.  We discovered that our family is not too keen on capers, but the other sandwiches were all quite popular.  How can you go wrong with egg salad?

The main entree featured a variety of choices: spinach frittata, turkey Waldorf salad on croissant, chunky tomato soup, chilled strawberry soup, or cranberry feta salad. 


Shown here is the spinace frittata and the cranberry feta salad, both very tasty!

And for dessert, raspberry almond bars, chewy chocolate cookies, and cookie and cream cheesecake.  Fun!
We enjoyed our visit but were anxious to pile back into the van and continue to head north with a stop at a Fairy Festival and another tea room (sort of) before our arrival at the Rhode Island beach house.

6 comments:

Bernideen said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip and come home FILLED WITH CREATIVE INSPIRATION. I so understand this. For many years before I had my gift shop I went shopping and did what I called "research" and "visual creative inspiration". I truly had no budget I was always learning.

GardenOfDaisies said...

This all looks delightfully delicious. I wish I could go with your on your tea shop visits!

La Tea Dah said...

Very nice! Such generous portions --- and I love the beautiful, old store-front of the B & B. How wonderful to live among such history. It sounds like a positive experience for your family --- well, with the exception of the capers, of course. :D

Looking forward to future posts.
LaTeaDah

Linda Jennings said...

Looks like a nice place to stop on your way. Looking forward to hearing all about the trip!

Two Cottages And Tea said...

I enjoyed your visit to the B&B tearoom. Everything looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Nancy

Marilyn Miller said...

How fun to have family stops for tea. Funny about the capers. I have one member of my family that also doesn't like capers. Can't wait to hear the next stop on this adventure.