Friday, June 14, 2013

Lamb's Ears

This fuzzy leaved plant is always a favorite of the children.  Who wouldn't want to rub those leaves!  It is a favorite of the fairies too I am sure,  as it would make the most perfect blanket. The silver foliage on plants like this reflects the moonlight and gives a shimmer to the garden in the light of the moon.  So in colonial time, this plant was said to be planted on the path to the outhouse.  It would help to light the way and well, with those soft fuzzy leaves, I suppose they would come in handy if you were needing the outhouse! I have also heard that it was used as packing for wounds -- but I have never seen that printed in any historic documents so I do question that a bit. In any case it is a fun hardy perennial, that grows low to the ground and blooms a pretty purplish fuzzy flower.  The flowers and leaves will dry for use in wreaths.   We made a lamb's ear Christmas ornament on one of our bus trips to Herb 'n Ewe in Ohio years and years ago. 
 Nancy Reppert and Bertha Reppert crafting Lamb's Ears ornaments in October, 1998.

5 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love Lambs ears. I had some growing in the first little house we lived in, with our two little (then) children. They loved to rub the leaves. That is too funny about the path to the outhouse. But it makes sense to me!

Steph said...

We have lots around here. I should try the wreaths!

relevanttealeaf said...

Educational and fun post about Lamb's Ears!

La Tea Dah said...

A very precious photo! What a neat thing to do with your mom! I've never made lambs ears ornaments. Something to add to my list. My lambs ears wintered over and I just pulled them all out, but I see I have several more plants --- new growth --- perfect for this project. Thanks!

Marilyn Miller said...

I have never heard of lamb's ears ornaments. I would love to hear more and see them up close.