Friday, January 10, 2014

New Herbals -Always room for one more book!

It wouldn't feel like Christmas if there weren't a new book or two under the tree!  The herbals I got this year are The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart - This book features the plants that create the worlds greatest drinks.  I think most folks know what  Corn, Rye, Wheat, and Barley are used in.  But have you given much thought to the type of Oak used to make barrels?  Or the artisanal potatoes used in whiskeys?  Or what drink has Prickly Pear cactus in it (mojitos and margaritas) or have you thought about the walnuts in Nocino. Plus all the other flavoring herbs lavender, jasmine, sweet woodruff, sassafras and many more.  This book will quickly become a favorite of mine!  My lovely niece thought of me for this gift.  Lucky me!

Richo Cech's  Plant Medicine book was published in 2000, and I am not quite sure what took it so long to come into my possession.  This is a tincturer's bible.  The book thoroughly covers the mathematics of tincturing and has a dictionary of plants to tincture with exact proportions and suggested dosages.  All excellent information from a reliable herbalist.  A gift from my Sister Marj, thank you sissy!

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

Those sound like great books and perfect gifts for you!