Thursday, February 23, 2017

Spices chart


This lovely hand drawn chart gives you simple hints and tips on how to use your spices.  This is a postcard designed in 1994 for The Rosemary House. My niece gave me a fun tip about using fresh ginger. She peels her ginger, and then keeps it in the freezer. Whenever a recipe calls for fresh ginger, she pulls it out of the freezer and uses a microplane to zest the frozen spice directly into her cooking pot, returning the unused portion of ginger back to the freezer until it is needed again. Every time I pull ginger out of the freezer, I think about my niece and this tip that she shared! Do you have a favorite spice that you absolutely must have?





2 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

That's a neat chart. Since I discovered the Scandinavian community and their baking nearby, I have fallen in love with cardamom.

Marilyn Miller said...

We go through a lot of cayenne. My son particularly loves cooking with it.