Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmastime Tea Books

Holiday books serve as instant decoration in the tea room at this time of year.   On the shelves you might find the classic and sentimental A Cup of Christmas Tea by Tom Hegg. Actually, if you look closely, you'll find several copies in different form, including a small ornament on the tea tree.  Nestled beside this book is the Festive Cakes of Christmas.  Published in 1981, it is a treasury of old traditions, recipes, and lore of the Christmas season.  Beginning with Advent, and including St. Lucia's Day (Dec. 13, Sweden), Christmas, Boxing Day (Dec. 26, England) and more, it ends with Candlemas (Feb. 2).  Such recipes as Amish Date-Nut Cake, Moravian Sugar Cake, Sachertore, Julekage, Dundee Cake, Buche de Noel and more are included in this informative book.  It's a world full of lovely traditions, and many are shared in this book.



A Cozy Christmas Tea by Sandy Lynam Clough is on display in the hallway, alongside the second copy of A Cup of Christmas Tea. This book was published in 1998 and is full of the beautiful artwork for which Sandy Lynam Clough is known.  Lovely quotes and some teatime recipes are sprinkled throughout this book and the reader is encouraged to share a warm cup of Christmas cheer with dear friends.

And tucked on display with the Santa collection is a pop-up copy of The Night Before Christmas.
Somehow not only for Christmas but all the long year through,
The joy that you give others is the joy that comes back to you
~John Greenleaf Whittier~

5 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Every post just makes me want to jump in the car and drive to your tearoom. Alas, I'm more than a few states away.
I'll have to keep my eye out for the Cakes of Christmas book. I love all those old fashioned, traditional, holiday treats!

Linda Jennings said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn Miller said...

I must go check my tea book shelf now as I wondering if any reside there. We do have one Christmas book, not tea related, that was my husbands when he was a boy. It is a pop up book and it comes out every Christmas.

relevanttealeaf said...

I enjoyed seeing your collection of Christmas books. I'm going to have to check and see if I have that particular book of Sandy Clough's. I have the Cup of Christmas Tea book and blogged about it recently. Then there are the Christmas books the grandchildren always love...The Nutcracker; The Polar Express; The Night Before Christmas... and others. Such a fun time of the year!

Angela McRae said...

Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a pop-up Christmas tea book! (I could write one, I just couldn't illustrate it worth a hoot.)