Thursday, October 20, 2011

Nasturtiums

The nasturtiums are enjoying the cooler fall weather and rewarding us with a sea of color. These peppery tasting flowers are fun to use in tea sandwiches, butters, tea sandwiches, to make flavored vinegar, or a peppery egg salad. Both the blossoms and the leaves are edible. Nasturtiums enjoy sun and heat and come in many colors, reds, yellows, peaches and in either compact or trailing varieties. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus) are a gardeners dream plant in that they bloom a lot, cover a nice area densely, generally aren't bothered by insects or slugs and are useful to use.

4 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love nasturtiums. My mother grew them in our garden and I would pluck one off and suck the nectar from the little spikey thing underneath. (What is that called?)
We added nasturtiums to the salad we made for my parents 50th anniversary luncheon. Had to make everything look really pretty for that.

Lady Linda said...

I too love nasturtiums and oh the memories of my youth too.Charming.

La Tea Dah said...

One of my favorite flowers! I didn't grow any in my garden this year. . .and I really missed them! Yours are lovely and prolific!

Angela McRae said...

If they enjoy sun and heat I definitely need to try these here in Georgia!