Saturday, October 1, 2016

Elegance in Dining


Two meals were included with the overnight stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. Dinner on the evening of arrival, and breakfast before departure. Dress requirements for the main dining room included suit and tie for the men and dress or pantsuit for the women. With all its elegance and over the top grandeur, including waiters dressed in dark green jackets with impeccable service, the website has every right to boast that 'every meal is an event'. 




There are a variety of options to select from to customize your dinner, choosing from five appetizers, three soups, salad, six entrees, and a nice assortment of dessert. This appetizer is a mix of two, jalapeno corn cakes with fresh fruit. By the time dinner service was complete, we had used all the silverware that was in front of us!

Soup this evening was chilled tomato watermelon gazpacho served with crab salad and Parmesan crisp.

The artfully presented Salad featured Mixed Greens with goat cheese, finely diced carrots, cucumber, and hazelnuts, with a buttermilk-lemon dressing. The cucumber was wrapped around the lettuce to form a bouquet. 


All of the dinner entrees were beautiful and tasty. There was a hustle of waiters moving throughout the room, keeping 600 guests or more content. The Roasted Eggplant Casserole with kale, turnips, ricotta, cremini, and red pepper sauce was the vegetarian option.

Two of the desserts shown here include the White Chocolate cheesecake with Strawberry Creme Fraiche and Almond Crumble. The one on the right is there signature dessert, a Vanilla Ice Cream ball rolled in pecans and then served atop a dish of homemade fudge sauce. Additional fudge sauce is also provided. Tea, of course, to end the meal.


4 comments:

Teresa said...

I just love your photos! You capture the entire feel of the dinner. I feel as if I never left! I appreciate all the additional information you are posting on your blog. There are so many little details I missed.
Sips and Smiles,
Teresa

Linda Jennings said...

Beautiful post with details I overlooked or perhaps I've already forgotten them, and I was sitting next to you!

relevanttealeaf said...

Seeing your posts and photos makes me wish I was back there again. Such a GRAND place!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I believe this is the dinner from which the famous words "Wait! I can have 2 desserts" originated? This memory brings warmth to my heart because it was the sweet innocence of realizing we could try 2 desserts. Personally, I keep reliving that pecan covered ice cream ball smothered with chocolate. (sigh...)