Monday, April 13, 2020

Iris Folding

These beautiful handcrafted cards were created by retired nurse and talented Mechanicsburg artist Gail True. She described the design technique as 'Iris Folding'. This specialty folding was new to me, and a Google search brought up some information regarding this style of folding.

This paper folding craft originated in Holland. It involves folding strips of light weight colored paper; scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, envelopes or magazine pages work. The paper is formed into a design where the center of the design is reminiscent of the iris of a camera lens.


In this design, you can see how Gail incorporated the business name, Sweet Remembrances, into the folds. This is such a pretty and creative way to craft. These beautiful cards will be available for purchase at the Pennsylvania Tea Festival in September. Gail is also the talent behind the book folding that we shared in this post. She boasts unique repurposed creations. Visit her website, gailtrue.com to see her wide selection of books that she has crafted.

6 comments:

relevanttealeaf said...

I was a recipient of one of these lovely handcrafted cards. Thank you Nancy and Gail!

martea said...

So unusual and beautiful!
It was fun to read about a craft new to me. What a creative and patient lady.

Scotiagel said...

Gail’s many crafts are so unique, and all are done with such perfection! She can personalize them as well. I am fortunate to have two of her folded books and two of her newest creations, these beautiful folded cards!

Marilyn Miller said...

I also enjoyed one of these cards for my birthday last month. They are beautiful. I especially love the one she made for your tearoom.

Angela McRae said...

Never heard of this before, but wow, what a lovely technique! Now I've got to go find a YouTube video so I can start folding, ha!

Lady Linda said...

These are amazing and just beautiful. I love them.
Hope you are doing well.