Friday, April 6, 2012

Crown of Thorns

Euphorbia millii (nicknamed Crown of Thorns) is native to Madagascar and legend tells us this plant was what was used to make the crown of thorns that Christ wore.    Evidence shows that the plant did migrate to the Middle East many years prior to the time of Christ. This plant is a woody, climbing succulent that thrives in hot climates and is tolerant of both heat and drought.  It flowers almost all year and can reach up to 6 feet in height.  The thorns can reach 1 to 2 inches in length. Here in Pennsylvania, it is a houseplant.   The exact plant species that was used to make the crown of thorns is not specified in the Bible.   Interestingly, the thick stems can be intertwined...... 

5 comments:

Bernideen said...

I have seen the Tomb in Israel and it is empty - He has Risen just as he said! Happy Easter.

Karen's Place said...

Least we forget the reason we celebrate Easter, celebrating our savior who has risen. Have a joyous Easter!

Marilyn Miller said...

Fascinating! I am not sure I have seen these before.

Linda Jennings said...

Happy Easter! I know you will have a big family celebration with lots of good food and fun.

Angela McRae said...

I didn't know much about this plant, so thank you for the education, as always! (I could read plant news endlessly, I think!)