Friday, June 1, 2012

Weeping Beech

This European Weeping Beech (Fagus sylvatica f. pendula) is 60 feet in height and has a 90 foot spread.  It was an original tree planted in the early 1900's at the Morris Arboretum.  That is the brown part in the middle.  It is slowly aging and decaying, however its legacies live on!  Where ever the branches have wept down and touched the ground they have formed roots.  As the roots grow, the tree sprouts upward and forms a new ring of trees around the "parent".   And the circle of life continues.

2 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

How fascinating! I was just walking in my yard today and feeling sad that a very old cherry tree may not survive much longer, but then I looked down and saw new cherry trees growing. Isn't it interesting how life re-invents itself? I just love it.

Angela McRae said...

Oh, now I've got to go see if a dying cedar tree has left any offspring!