Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Primroses - a Flower of Shakespeare

Sunny primroses are colorful flowering plants for cool, bright indoor locations. They can be planted outside after danger of frost and would prefer shaded, moist areas. In the heat of the summer ours often go dormant. A favorite plant of the fairies, primrose is said to attract fairies to the garden. This flower is also thought to have the power to render one invisible to the fae. A cousin to the Cowslip plant referred to in the Bard's writings especially in Mid Summers Nights Dream where it is known as the "Fairies Cup". Giving you a sense of the size of Oberon, the King of Fairies and Titiana, his queen.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Alas, ours is a spring time treat on the prairie -- the heat of the summer does them in but I so adore primroses!!!!

Marilyn Miller said...

They do remind me of fairies. Thanks for that explanation. I bought some beautiful white with lavender ruffled edges, which I planted in a basket for my sisters birthday gift. They are so pretty I am happy they were planted early, so I can enjoy them before I give them away.

Angela McRae said...

I've never planted primroses but I would love to. Sooooo pretty!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I knew there was a reason I bought them at the grocery store! Thanks for the reminder!