Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Early Reading

This little collection of tea themed books are geared towards beginning reading.  Our Tea Party is a Scholastic book geared to ages 3 - 6 or Preschool-Grade 1.  Printed in 1996, it gives a face lift to the Dick and Jane readers!  Some tea and cookies?  Nancy Shaw's Sheep Out to Eat is just plain fun to read!  These sheep have a wild time in a tea room, in rhyme.  They munch, they crunch, tea cups smash... oh my!  Mr. Putter and Tabby Pour the Tea tells the tale of a lonely elderly man who acquires an equally elderly cat.  They eat muffins, pour tea, and enjoy the opera.  It's a fun little chapter book that I enjoyed reading to me niece when she was younger.  Another Scholastic book, Rabbit's Party tells about birthday party plans.  Each of rabbit's 3 friends were to invite 2 more friends, but in the end, they all invited each other and savored a big salad with carrots followed by the favorite, nut cake.  Hilda's Tea Party is slightly more advanced reading and features the artistry of the Richard Scarry and all that goes on in that series, including dropped tea cups.  It's an adventure!
 

5 comments:

relevanttealeaf said...

Wonderful collection! I don't remember tea-themed books when I was growing up. They probably existed, but I just didn't know about them.

Angela McRae said...

Good grief! I now see there are LOTS of children's books I missed out on. Thanks for the great info!

Steph said...

Oh, thank you! I'll have these ready from the library when my niece comes to visit this summer.

Merlesworld said...

I went to look for a children book for a gift not so long ago I was surprised that it was so hard to find one I liked. When I was at little tike i liked the pictures as well as the story the ones in the shops now are all kind of cartoon drawing but i would still buy The very hungry caterpillar, thats a good book.
Merle....

Marilyn Miller said...

I'm loving seeing all these sweet tea children's book. One of my favorites is the Mr. Putter book. Your last post caused me to go looking for my copy of I'm a Little Teapot, now off to find Mr. Putter.