Monday, July 21, 2014

Biltmore House & Gardens, NC

A visit to North Carolina isn't complete without a tour of the impressive Biltmore estate, America's largest home and acres of historic gardens located in Asheville. This fabulous destination was created in 1895 by George W. Vanderbilt as an escape from everyday life for family and friends.
Interior photography is not allowed, but know that their is grandeur spilling forth in every room. Your tour includes access to three floors, including the basement where the domestic staff kept the house functioning in perfect rhythm. The indoor pool, also in the basement, was quite impressive.

The gardens feature an Italian garden, a Shrub garden, walled gardens, and a rose and azalea garden. Simply beautiful

A quick visit to the farm, offered a peek into the earlier days of the Biltmore era where families lived on the estate raising livestock, tending crops and working on the dairy. Today we visited the farmyard where they have a wide variety of free range chickens and goats.

4 comments:

relevanttealeaf said...

I loved visiting Biltmore in 2012. What a fun family vacation for you.

Linda Jennings said...

I love visiting the Biltmore Estate. My first visit was when I was about 6 years old. I'm so glad your family visited during your NC travels.

Angela McRae said...

I love Biltmore House and can't wait to visit again! I never get tired of seeing how the upper crust once lived!

Marilyn Miller said...

Now Phyllis and Linda have been there and I can only dream. This is definitely on my bucket list if I ever get to that part of the country. The garden looks wonderful.